Thursday, May 15, 2014

Standing Up

It's been really crazy around here. With graduation coming up my stress level is through the roof. And because of other challenges my testimony faltered a little bit.

The other day in seminary we talked about converts. The lesson was really good and the Spirit was so strong. But about halfway through the lesson the kids behind me started getting louder and louder and were laughing. I ended up missing a lot of the lesson and left seminary frustrated. They talk a lot, but usually they'll stop after being asked. So when they didn't and just got louder it was frustrating to me and a few other kids in the class. After fuming about it for the whole drive home, I shot a text to my teacher and explained my frustration. She promised to talk to them.

The talking continued though.

So today they started talking. And after shushing them once with no response I decided that if I wanted to hear this lesson I had to do something, myself.

So I packed up my church bag. My teacher stopped teaching and asked if I was leaving, I said no, that I was moving because I couldn't hear what she was saying. She asked the back row to stop talking and I quietly folded my chair and walked past all of my silent classmates and made another seat on the other side of the room. It was really hard for me to do, because I felt everyone's eyes on me.

But you know what? I wasn't just standing up to move away, I stood up because I WANTED to hear that lesson. I didn't have to do that. I could have just missed the lesson again. It was a reminder to myself about the importance of seminary in my life and how I shouldn't be afraid to stand up.

And the best part is- they finally stopped talking. :)

I'm really grateful for this little experience. And I'm glad it's helped me realize that I need to get back on track and follow Him. :)

"Dare to be a Mormon. Dare to stand alone. Dare to have a purpose firm. Dare to make it known." -Thomas S. Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment