Sunday, March 3, 2013

Personal Progress and my Beehives

I'm sorry I haven't gotten to write for a while.

Today was just such a huge day for me, I had to let everyone know.

Today I received my medallion for finishing personal progress. It was such an amazing experience. I loved it so much.

During young women's everyone would talk about personal progress, but I didn't know what it was. So I leaned over and asked Savannah (the sweetest little sparkle in my life, go check out my previous posts and you'll hear all about her and her beautiful mommy) and she got me the book. That night, I went home and read through it, and quickly got discouraged. "Family home evening? I can't do that!" I thought. As I continued to read I continued to pull myself down, saying I couldn't do it. I ended up shoving it in my bag and forgetting about it.

A few months later, I saw how happy the other girls were. One of my friends from school had finished hers, and told me all about it. So I started to look back into starting again.

And I did.

It was such an amazing experience. I had to find my own ways to complete the experiences, which made it more of a challenge but it made my testimony grow more than it would if I had just never picked it back up. I learned that everything you put your mind to is possibly through our selfless Father in Heaven. He wants the best for each and every one of us.

But as I sit here, pondering what has happened today, I realized that something else touched my heart.

I am close to the beehives in my ward. They are the sweetest things. They have this light to them that I can't get enough of. They are truly amazing.

The other day at mutual, I was sitting reading scriptures. Two little beehives walked over and sat down next to me, we talked for a few minutes, then they went on their own conversation. I went back to reading scriptures, partially listening to what they were saying.

One of the girls was having trouble with a girl at school who just didn't like her. She couldn't figure out why. She would send her mean texts and say mean things at school. She ended up replying to one of the texts with a not so nice response and this is what the two little ladies were talking about.

I looked up from my scriptures and said her name (which I won't say on here because I don't want to spill her secret)

"____, what did you say to this girl?"

"I'm not really sure, I deleted it and I don't remember exactly."

I turned so I was looking her in the eyes and said:
"I'm going to tell you something I learned. I know what it's like to not be liked by some people and you don't know why. At first, I wanted to do just what you did, I wanted to put them down and make them feel just as bad as they made me feel. But then I heard a lesson about forgiveness and service. So I forgave them. Now I know they might not have been sorry at the time, and they might never be. But I forgave them. Then, I started doing small acts of service towards them. Whether it be holding the door open, smiling at them, or just simply not be mean to them. Soon, they stopped being so mean towards me. I think you should try this. Be kind to this girl, she might be going through a hard time. Forgive her. Be kind to her. It might not work at first, but you know you will be doing the right thing."

She said okay and we went home. I didn't expect her to take my advice because its a hard thing to do.

Today the same girl came running to me exclaiming that I was right. When I asked what I was right about her response was "I started being nice to that girl and she complimented me this week!!!"

I am so proud of my little beehive for standing for what's right and being a loving daughter of God.

I think this meant as much to me as finishing my personal progress did, of not more. I am so happy that she did the right thing.

I know that if you are kind to those who are hurtful to you, your kindness will rub off on them. I know that if you ask Heavenly Father for help, He will help you. Everything is possibly through God. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and I know that Thomas S. Monson is a prophet. And I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Casey, I'm so happy you posted this! I'm so proud of you for completing your Personal Progress. What an amazing goal to have finished in your life. You are such a great example to the other girls in the ward. And we're all so grateful to have you in our lives. Love you tons!! <3

    ReplyDelete